Message Board -  General Discussion

[ Login ] [ Create Account ]
[ Board List ] [ View Board ] [ Post Reply ]
  Author  Subject: root permisions for unbuntu
Anonymous  

Posted on 01-11-2006 06:32 p.m. ET  reply

At one of the linux meetings, Jym Zavada explained how to log onto Unbuntu as root by typing a few commands in terminal mode. I'm the only one using my computer, so I would like to be "root" all the time because every so often I'll do something that requires me to log on as "root", and Unbuntu won't let me. I assume that this is because Unbuntu is geared towards newbies and shouldn't be tampered with. I am a newbie, but sometimes I want to download and install a program and Unbuntu won't let me without being "root". So if anyone out there remembers the commands to become "root" in Unbuntu, please post them. Please try to make it simple as I'm not familiar with doing anything in terminal mode. Thanks!!!!
keenick  

Posted on 01-18-2006 08:02 p.m. ET  reply

Anonymous wrote:
>> At one of the linux meetings, Jym Zavada explained how to log onto Unbuntu as root by typing a few commands in terminal mode. I'm the only one using my computer, so I would like to be "root" all the time because every so often I'll do something that requires me to log on as "root", and Unbuntu won't let me. I assume that this is because Unbuntu is geared towards newbies and shouldn't be tampered with. I am a newbie, but sometimes I want to download and install a program and Unbuntu won't let me without being "root". So if anyone out there remembers the commands to become "root" in Unbuntu, please post them. Please try to make it simple as I'm not familiar with doing anything in terminal mode. Thanks!!!! <<

Here is a shortcut from Ubuntu's website-
# "sudo" means superuser do. "sudo" will prompt for "Password:". Please specify user password
# If you are tired of typing "sudo" all the time, switch to root user by issuing "sudo -s -H" followed by user password.
The link to the docs is http://ubuntuguide.org/ This lists quite a few "how-to's".

< Previous 1 Next >

Site Contents