Message Board -  General Discussion

[ Login ] [ Create Account ]
[ Board List ] [ View Board ] [ Post Reply ]
  Author  Subject: Ubuntu, yellowdog, mandrake Linux on Mac
Anonymous  

Posted on 01-31-2006 09:13 p.m. ET  reply

I'm having a slight problem here. I have an iMac G5 revb. I want to install Linux on here as well as OS X. I tried Ubuntu 5.10 and it installed fine but when it gets to the logon screen the system hangs no movment from the mouse or they keyboard so I cant logon. Also I dont remember if it was yellow dog or mandrake but when I tried to install one of the 2 I got a message saying serial port locked ON by debugger, and the install goes no farther. Any ideas whats going on with Ubuntu, or Yellowdog, Mandrake on my iMac and is there a fix? Thanks
Anonymous  

Posted on 05-04-2006 12:24 p.m. ET  reply

Anonymous wrote:
>> I have an iMac G5 revb... I tried Ubuntu 5.10 and it installed fine but when it gets to the logon screen the system hangs no movment from the mouse or they keyboard so I cant logon.<<

I have a G4 Mac Mini and a G4 iBook that I occasionally boot into YellowDog, but I bought a pre-installed Linux firewire drive to do so. When I ordered the drive, the TerraSoft folks asked me what machine models I would be using, and configured it accordingly. So, I'm afraid I have no easy answer for you. However, I will see if there's a way to boot into YellowDog and Ubuntu (I have an Ubuntu Live CD for PPC) to a command line. If that's possible, then it means your graphics subsystem is misconfigured. Once we know that for certain, we'll know what to do next.

So, give me a few days, and I'll post again to tell you how to boot with the graphics subsystem turned off.
Anonymous  

Posted on 05-27-2006 02:16 a.m. ET  reply

For Yellowdog Linux, when you're at the boot prompt (assuming you're using the yaboot boot loader that installs with the OS), to get a text-only login, type 'linux 3', then press Return. Then, to start the graphical interface, type 'startx' and press Return.
If the X-windows interface is hanging, you should be able to press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to kill the X session and go back to the command-line console.

< Previous 1 Next >

Site Contents