Message Board -  General Discussion

[ Login ] [ Create Account ]
[ Board List ] [ View Board ] [ Post Reply ]
  Author  Subject: Desktop Icon to start Firefox
Ematthe1  

Posted on 05-19-2006 11:08 a.m. ET  reply

Good morning

As a newbie, and not the brightest crayon in the box, I am having a basic problem. I am running Fedora Core 4 with Gnome and using Firefox 1.0.8 as a browser. I decided to upgrade to the later Firefox 1.5 and downloaded that upgrade in a tarball. I moved the file to the /usr/lib directory as instructed and extracted the new Firefox in a directory called /usr/lib/firefox. I then entered the twilight zone, and have no idea how to make it work in place of the my current firefox. In windows the icon to start a program indicates the drive and directory where I can find the executable file and I can change that to a different executable, but in Fedora I don't have any idea how the connection between the icon on my desktop and the executable code is made, nor have I been able to find that information. There seems to be lots of information on the web and in hardcopy for the total neophyte and even more for the bit-heads (not meant in a derogatory sense), but little for the middle-of-the-road guy who knows just enough to get in trouble but not enough to get out. (Incidentally, I later found an RPM for the Firefox 1.5, but when I tried to install that it failed with a message that I already have a later vesion installed, apparently despite that fact that I don't have it working.)

Enough whining! If anyone can help me understand, or find an explanation of how an application uses various directories and data to start a particular application from the desktop, maybe I could figure out how to point to the new firefox instead of the old one. And if not, I will try to phrase the question more intelligently and bring it to the next SYRLUG meeting - Forewarned is Forearmed!!!

Matt
Anonymous  

Posted on 05-27-2006 02:22 a.m. ET  reply

Ematthe1 wrote:
>> ... I am running Fedora Core 4 with Gnome ... If anyone can help me understand, or find an explanation of how an application uses various directories and data to start a particular application from the desktop, maybe I could figure out how to point to the new firefox instead of the old one.... <<

If I remember correctly, in Gnome, you can right-click on the desktop, and select the option that allows you to create a new launcher, which brings up a wizard. Somewhere therein, you are allowed to browse the filesystem for an executable to launch. At this point, you browse to the executable of the new version of Firefox. When you save your new launcher, you'll be able to click on it to start the new Firefox.
Anonymous  

Posted on 05-30-2006 11:10 a.m. ET  reply

Anonymous wrote:
>> Ematthe1 wrote:
>> ... I am running Fedora Core 4 with Gnome ... If anyone can help me understand, or find an explanation of how an application uses various directories and data to start a particular application from the desktop, maybe I could figure out how to point to the new firefox instead of the old one.... <<

If I remember correctly, in Gnome, you can right-click on the desktop, and select the option that allows you to create a new launcher, which brings up a wizard. Somewhere therein, you are allowed to browse the filesystem for an executable to launch. At this point, you browse to the executable of the new version of Firefox. When you save your new launcher, you'll be able to click on it to start the new Firefox. <<

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...
That seems to be the 30 second solution to my 30 day problem. The new firefox has somehow picked up the old bookmarks and works fine. I appreciate your response. (I will now move on to another question via a new posting. I have so many questions that I may wear out my welcome here!)
Matt

< Previous 1 Next >

Site Contents