Message Board -  General Discussion

[ Login ] [ Create Account ]
[ Board List ] [ View Board ] [ Post Reply ]
  Author  Subject: pci ide card support
Ematthe1  

Posted on 05-30-2006 11:38 a.m. ET  reply

Optional background:
I replaced my Sony CD-RW drive with an I/O magic cd/dvd writer since migrating (dual boot) to Fedora Core 4. I recently tried to copy some audio disks using the dvd writer (K3B) and got copies which had randon noise, somewhat as though it was losing tracking during playback. I have two machines with very similar configurations, and tried the copy on the second machine with no improvement. I then brought up one machine in Windows XP and tried an existing CD writer (an HP9300) and was still unable to write successfully. Since I have tried two computers and three drives and used two opoerating systems (and tried another brand of blank CDs), I have exhausted my options, save one -- I have not gone back to the original Sony CD-writer which I used for a long time and which was known good when I pulled it. I would like to reinstall it, but am out of IDE slots unless I pull another device. Thus the question:

Question:
Can I plug in a IDE/PCI card to add IDE slots in linux (Fedora Core 4), or does it require some esoteric driver magic that I am not capable of? I would like to use the CompUSA 2 Port Ultra ATA 133 PCI Card Product Number: 293595, since it is cheap and easily available, but I'm not sure that it will work. If it did, it would give me an easy way to restore the Sony CD writer without disturbing the existing IDE devices.

Thanks for any input.

Matt
Anonymous  

Posted on 05-31-2006 12:23 p.m. ET  reply

Ematthe1 wrote:
>>
Question:
I would like to use the CompUSA 2 Port Ultra ATA 133 PCI Card Product Number: 293595, since it is cheap and easily available, but I'm not sure that it will work. If it did, it would give me an easy way to restore the Sony CD writer without disturbing the existing IDE devices.

Thanks for any input.

Matt <<

Although the CompUSA card is cheap and easily available, I can tell you from personal experience it is NOT what you want, especially if you want to use it with Linux! I bought one a few months ago, and it turns out it is a non-standard IDE card. It needs special drivers. The M$ drivers come on the included CD, which may or may not work, I don't use the M$ stuff, so I can't say. To *attempt* to use the card with Linux, I had to hunt down the manufacturor's website (it has an ITE chipset), and download the driver. When I tried it, the hard drive I attached to it appeared to the Linux OS as a SCSI device (/dev/sda). At first it seemed to work ok, too, but as soon as I started copying to it, I started getting occasional read/write/seek errors. Therefore I strongly recommend you do NOT buy the compusa card if you plan to use it with Linux.
Ematthe1  

Posted on 06-01-2006 11:52 a.m. ET  reply

Ematthe1 wrote:
>> Optional background:
I replaced my Sony CD-RW drive with an I/O magic cd/dvd writer since migrating (dual boot) to Fedora Core 4. I recently tried to copy some audio disks using the dvd writer (K3B) and got copies which had randon noise, somewhat as though it was losing tracking during playback. I have two machines with very similar configurations, and tried the copy on the second machine with no improvement. I then brought up one machine in Windows XP and tried an existing CD writer (an HP9300) and was still unable to write successfully. Since I have tried two computers and three drives and used two opoerating systems (and tried another brand of blank CDs), I have exhausted my options, save one -- I have not gone back to the original Sony CD-writer which I used for a long time and which was known good when I pulled it. I would like to reinstall it, but am out of IDE slots unless I pull another device. Thus the question:

Question:
Can I plug in a IDE/PCI card to add IDE slots in linux (Fedora Core 4), or does it require some esoteric driver magic that I am not capable of? I would like to use the CompUSA 2 Port Ultra ATA 133 PCI Card Product Number: 293595, since it is cheap and easily available, but I'm not sure that it will work. If it did, it would give me an easy way to restore the Sony CD writer without disturbing the existing IDE devices.

Thanks for any input.

Matt <<

Thanks for the input. I will scratch the compusa card idea. Since you tried that unsuccessfully, can I assume that you went on to another solution, such as a "standard" ide card, or solution from another hardware source to add IDE slots to a full MB? I'm not sure where else to look for a card or if there really aren't any add-ons that work with linux. More IDE ports without major hardware surgery would be really helpful, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Matt

< Previous 1 Next >

Site Contents